The gallery was established in 1981, created on the site of the former home of sculptor Gerald Lewers and painter Margo Lewers. In the 1950’s Sidney Ancher designed an addition to the original 1901 house and a new courtyard house for Margot’s mother.
The extensive gardens are embellished by works of art. In 1981 a large, purpose-built exhibition space was built on the site. In 1997 an adjacent site was acquired and two large sheds constructed to contain workshops and art storage.
The 2006 alterations and additions included the refurbishment and upgrading of the existing gallery, the addition of café and entry facilities as well as a radical new circulation system being introduced. Heritage sensitive areas were identified and renovations carefully undertaken. New elements were inserted to carefully augment the significant attributes of the site.