PTW were engaged to provide Phases 2-8 (Concept Design to Completion) architectural consultancy services for the design of new education spaces at the existing campuses of John Palmer PS. The school is owned and operated under a public private partnership (PPP).
The John Palmer Public School (JPSS) upgrade will provide facilities for 1012 students. The proposed redevelopment of the existing school will replace the existing 20 demountables with permanent learning spaces; add another eight new learning spaces, two special program rooms and a support learning space, new library and upgrade the hall and staff facilities.
Connecting with Country
Consultation at the schools has been undertaken to develop thoughtful, considered and appropriate design responses that inform the design of the school buildings and landscaped areas, and provide a sense of historic and cultural continuity to these schools located in relatively new suburbs, with however, strong indigenous links.
Design elements include woodland areas that will be able to be opened for school and community use and enjoyment; indigenous edible plants will be incorporated in the kitchen garden and a garden for plants used for weaving added into the composition. Colours and motifs will be incorporated in the perforated metal screens that clad the external stairs and balustrades.
SINSW Design Standardisation
At John Palmer PS the built form utilises the School Infrastructure NSW (SINSW) DfMA planning grid in the E_W wing and a single-sided modification of the grid in the N-S wing. The “knuckle’ of the two wings contains the lift, enclosed stair, comms room, cleaners room and student and staff amenities with breezeway connections. The access balconies face the games court and at ground level, there are external learning areas in the spaces between. At the western end of the E_W wing, there is a roof terrace as an upper level outdoor learning area.