Jones Bay Wharf, located at the end of the Pyrmont Peninsula, was built between 1911 and 1919 and was the last significant large-scale wharf to be refurbished on Sydney Harbour. The wharf consisted of two linear cargo sheds, each with upper and lower levels which were separated by a central access road on each level that provided vehicular access to the spaces.
The architectural aim was to sensitively preserve the wharf’s industrial maritime qualities, while adapting it to provide contemporary office space. The northern half of the wharf contained small strata titled offices of 75-175m² and the southern half contained larger office tenancies of 350-500m². A new shore building was constructed at the street entry, with commercial space and generous restaurant incorporating the existing brick structures. A screen façade along the street consisting of an abstract composition of timber members created a street presence and entry statement that reinterpreted the technology of the wharf.