This highly significant courts complex was progressively upgraded to meet contemporary judicial servicing and access requirements
Phase 1 - Masterplan and Conservation and Management Plan (CMP); Court 5. The first major phase included the conservation and upgrading of Court 5, and associated rooms in the former Old Registry building, for disabled access and state-of-the art courtroom technology.
Phase 2 included conservation and upgrading of Court 2 and associated rooms. Construction of this phase began in 1999 with the structural rectification of the upper floor of the 1820s wing, an extensive archaeological excavation of the floor cavity, and consolidation of the lath and plaster ceilings.
Phase 3 established an Interpretative Centre. Since 1824, law, order and justice have been administered from the King Street Courts site. Conservation work has revealed considerable archaeological and architectural information.
Phase 4 - This phase comprised conservation and upgrading of Court 3 and associated jury rooms, a new corrective services wing, a pavilion for the judge’s associate, a Sheriff’s suite of rooms and the custodial area.
Phase 5 comprised revision of the CMP to include movable heritage and interpretation plans by Musecape, conservation and upgrading of Court 1 and ADR suite. Interpretation works have been integrated throughout the project and range from special tours to a book by historian Rosemary Annable (published August 2007).
Court 1 re-opened as the Bails Court for the NSW Supreme Court in February 2007.
Phase 6b of the staged upgrading and conservation of the King Street Courts involved the conversion of the former Probate area to legal profession offices, completed in April 2008.
Phase 7 St James Road wing, mezzanine floor chambers.
Phase 8 Roof repair and replacement.
Phase 9 St James Road Court - construction documents complete
Gadigal Country, King Street, Sydney, NSW, Australia
NSW Department of Justice and Attorney General Supreme Court of New South Wales
2004 National Trust Award for Conservation of Built Heritage in the Corporate or Government sector